Experimental IRC log fenfire-2007-03-11

Available formats: content-negotiated html turtle (see SIOC for the vocabulary)

Back to channel and daily index: content-negotiated html turtle

These logs are provided as an experiment in indexing discussions using IRCHub.py, Irc2RDF.hs, and SIOC.

12:34:45<benja_>+tuukkah: ayh?
12:35:12<benja_>+could you take a look at http://antti-juhani.kaijanaho.fi/darcs/ffhs-move-rdf/ ?
12:35:22<benja_>+blah
12:35:45<benja_>+http://flowerpot.kaijanaho.fi/~benja/ffhs-move-rdf/ of course =)
12:36:08<benja_>+I can't figure out why Raptor.chs isn't preprocessed correctly
12:38:42<tuukkah>let's see
12:39:32<benja_>+thanks :)
12:42:54<benja_>+bbl, my father and I need to buy milk =)
13:02:02<tuukkah>la la la, cabal is broken, la la la...
13:18:30<tuukkah>when you move the chs file into a subdirectory it gets doubly accounted for, by both c2hs and ghc
13:18:46<tuukkah>or c2hs and cabal or whatever
14:58:50<benja_>+b
14:58:58<benja_>+thanks tuukkah! =)
14:59:55<benja_>+...interesting =)
15:04:54<tuukkah>i don't know how we should handle error situations
15:05:49<benja_>+the text color looks weird on my system now
15:05:53<benja_>+error situations?
15:06:35<tuukkah>like if there's no pdflatex or it detects an error
15:06:58<tuukkah>what kind of weird does it look?
15:07:04<benja_>+golden
15:07:15<tuukkah>oh that's the error colour :-)
15:07:22<benja_>+huh =)
15:07:25<benja_>+what's the error?
15:07:30<tuukkah>any
15:07:39<tuukkah>perhaps you can see on the console
15:07:46<benja_>+nothing said there
15:07:53<benja_>+all node content is golden
15:08:08<tuukkah>so the latex vob isn't working for you?
15:08:25<benja_>+where should I see it?
15:08:39<tuukkah>the nodeview uses it
15:08:59<benja_>+for all nodes?
15:09:04<tuukkah>yes %-)
15:09:09<benja_>+perhaps I don't have the necessary programs
15:09:10<benja_>+tuukkah: =)
15:09:39<tuukkah>latex and dvipng
15:10:18<tuukkah>you can try latex2png also on the command line, it takes a latex expression and an output filename
15:10:24<benja_>+the readme says naught about what packages to install =)
15:10:28<benja_>+latex2png I have
15:10:39<benja_>+latex and dvipng I don't =)
15:10:59<benja_>+ah, of course, I have it because it's in Fenfire .)
15:11:37<benja_>+I suppos tetex-base?
15:12:02<tuukkah>tetex-bin
15:12:22<benja_>+ok
15:12:49<tuukkah>and dvipng is a separate package
15:13:08<benja_>+ok
15:13:35<benja_>+hmmm... interesting =)
15:15:03<benja_>+pretty cool, but I think we do need to restrict it somehow to some nodes to make it more useful =)
15:18:58<tuukkah>see http://tuukka.iki.fi/tmp/fenfire-2007-03-09#19:04:41 =)
15:20:41<benja_>+tuukkah: I was agreeing with that :)
15:21:11<benja_>+RDF depends on Utils and Cache
15:21:25<benja_>+now where should those go in the hierarchy...
15:22:17<tuukkah>so what are you working on, trying to make the rdf part into a generally usable library?
15:23:11<benja_>+I'm working on a HAppS-based reimplemetation of the Toy code running my blog, and I'd like to use the same RDF code...
15:24:11<tuukkah>i see
15:26:45<tuukkah>i wonder if it would make sense for the raptor wrapper to be complete and distributed with raptor
15:27:29<benja_>+it probably would
15:27:45<tuukkah>then again, it would be work :-)
15:27:52<benja_>+precis :)
15:28:37<benja_>+I'll move everything to Fenfire/ for now
15:28:41<tuukkah>why isn't there rdf work being done in haskell
15:29:18<benja_>+not much mutual interest between the communities?
15:29:43<tuukkah>right, the rdf community was more inclined towards apl ;-)
15:31:13<tuukkah>and rdf is too fuzzy for the haskell community?
15:32:45<benja_>+I dunno, I don't think there's any deep reason
15:35:29<tuukkah>perhaps a lack of an RDF Parser Toolkit in haskell =)
15:37:30<benja_>+heh =)
15:38:48<tuukkah>perhaps i could poll the channels and if there's enough interest make a google soc application for haskell.org
15:39:16<benja_>+you mean an application to make haskell.org a sponsoring org?
15:39:53<benja_>+or to make a Haskell RDF toolkit?
15:40:05<tuukkah>haskell.org is a sponsoring org anyway
15:40:28<tuukkah>they would decide whether they want to mentro an rdf toolkit
15:40:33<tuukkah>mentor
15:40:34<benja_>+ok
15:41:44<benja_>+hm, would "RDF toolkit" be interesting to people who don't use RDF anyway?
15:42:06<tuukkah>did you see the discussion about this on #haskell today? http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/summer-of-code/wiki/StudApply
15:42:34<benja_>+no, I didn't
15:42:43<benja_>+do you remember what time?
15:42:55<tuukkah>12 utc
15:43:11<tuukkah>should i log that channel too %-)
15:44:28<benja_>+#sioc would be good :)
15:45:53<tuukkah>oh was it sioc and not swig we were supposed to log?
15:46:00<benja_>+niin
15:46:04<benja_>+swig already has a log
15:46:18<tuukkah>and now you're telling me...
15:46:29<benja_>+I didn't realize you didn't realize :)
15:46:57<benja_>+ok, read the discussion
15:48:06<benja_>+"Please note that Google Summer-of-Code projects are a full (day-) time job"
15:48:37<tuukkah>how do you relate with that?
15:50:09<benja_>+wondering how to scope it so that one of us would need and want to invest that much time :)
15:50:29<benja_>+(would you want to apply btw?)
15:50:50<tuukkah>well i didn't plan to apply
15:51:25<benja_>+ok :)
15:52:05<benja_>+I'd like to, but I'm not sure what would be good to apply for, exactly :)
15:52:42<tuukkah>just an rdf toolkit would perhaps be too far from the #haskell core
15:53:07<tuukkah>but something like rdf support for happs could already be better
15:53:22<benja_>+yeah
15:53:33<benja_>+I should look at the HSP project from last year
15:53:39<tuukkah>then in completely different direction your research on frp and applicative functors etc.
15:54:12<tuukkah>that could be less hand-waving and thus appeal to #haskell better
15:54:46<benja_>+actually, I think that would be more hand-waving :)
15:55:54<tuukkah>well, you'd perhaps need to find something that's less research and more implementation
15:56:22<benja_>+yep
15:56:49<benja_>+ah, http://csmisc14.cs.chalmers.se/~bjornson/soc/
15:56:53<benja_>+why's that so hard to find? =)
15:59:25<benja_>+http://flowerpot.kaijanaho.fi/~benja/2007/03/Board.hsp is my current code btw
15:59:32<benja_>+not using Fenfire's RDF tools
16:08:59<tuukkah>seems clean enough
16:10:53<tuukkah>can't use fenfire from firefox as it doesn't relay the mime type
16:17:03<tuukkah>hmm, i lost track when i last worked on irc2rdf, now how could i get back to track
16:17:26<tuukkah>at least move the rational number display functions somewhere else :-)
16:20:57<benja_>+there's one thing that I would like to have and would know how to apply for, but have zero clue how to implement: sandboxed haskell
16:24:51<tuukkah>"would know how to apply for" means what if it doesn't include "clue how to implement"
16:26:08<tuukkah>you are allowed to discuss with the potential mentors and use their advice when working on your application :-)
16:26:33<benja_>+I'd know how to present it as something that would be useful for the haskell community :)
16:27:14<tuukkah>you can see what lambdabot has now and have a look at how previous projects have modified the ghc api etc.
16:27:51<tuukkah>sandboxed haskell sounds like something reasonable for a summer's work
16:28:11<benja_>+hmm: look at all GHC primitives and compile a list of all safe ones; write a tool that chases function definition dependencies
16:28:27<benja_>+of course, that doesn't address the resource usage part
16:29:34<tuukkah>the resource usage would perhaps be a small issue in the scheduler?
16:30:52<benja_>+which scheduler?
16:31:37<tuukkah>the ghc scheduler
16:32:39<benja_>+aha, http://cvs.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Commentary/Rts/Scheduler
16:33:23<tuukkah>remember that ghc is an operating system and perhaps have a look at how house has been done
16:33:49<benja_>+house?
16:34:27<tuukkah>Haskell User's Operating System and Environment
16:41:31<benja_>+hmm, http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/summer-of-code/ticket/52
16:41:34<benja_>+(from last year)
16:41:58<benja_>+would "integrate HSP and HAppS" be a reasonable project then =)
16:45:26<tuukkah>remember this one too =) http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/summer-of-code/ticket/85
16:46:39<benja_>+then dmhouse wants a streamlined HAppS or something like that: http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/summer-of-code/ticket/1112
16:47:00<benja_>+(I don't quite get it :))
16:54:25<tuukkah>hmm why would you need that. a fa├žade in front of it i could understand
17:21:05<benja_>+yikes, my plane leaves at 8:05 tomorrow
17:21:13<benja_>+bb tomorrow evening, I guess
17:22:08<tuukkah>plane here?
17:30:51<benja_>+y
17:32:09<tuukkah>see you soon then
20:52:11<tuukkah>one crazy project would be to implement a modern replacement for latex on top of a sane programming language and unicode
21:52:02<tuukkah>that doesn't give us unicode but it does give umlauts and stuff

Back to channel and daily index: content-negotiated html turtle